I just moved my website over to a Windows Azure hosted WordPress blog. My Google Analytics statistics showed me that by far the most popular content from my old website (which was a ASP.NET site rather than just a blog) was this information about a jQuery Collapsible Panel Plugin that I created a long long time ago while learning jQuery.
So here is the post in case anybody wants to refer back to it. If you accessed this page from it’s original URL, then hopefully you just got redirected to here.
Today I created an Entity Framework model from an existing database. I generated the POCO entities and used the EF 5.x DbContext Generator to create a DataContext class. That was all good!
These source code files were alll generated in my data repository project, so I then moved the entity POCO classes into their own project and updated the context to look for the entities in their new namespace. This is what I usually do. Continue reading
Had an error in our internal application today saying:
Host ” is blocked because of many connection errors; unblock with ‘mysqladmin flush-hosts’
This post is more for me in case I hit this in the future… but who knows, it might help someone one day! Continue reading
I had previously created some ‘test’ work items in TFS 2012.
Now I have started to add real items in and these test items are showing up and just generally getting in the way. I didn’t want to just change the State to ‘Removed’ or ‘Closed’, I just wanted them gone. Continue reading
I’m brand new to SSIS, but I’ve been given the task of modifying an existing SSIS package and front it with a simple UI to make it a bit easier to use.
The first problem I hit was that the package is using a SQL Connection Manager to connect to an access database. The access database file it was using was hard coded within the Connection Manager:
I recently upgraded a Visual Studio 2008 solution to Visual Studio 2012.
After doing so, my unit tests were all failing. I was getting errors saying that
MyClassInitialize has wrong signature. Parameter 1 should be of type Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UnitTesting.TestContext
Turns out all i needed to do was go through each of my Unit Test projects and remove the existing reference to Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework.dll and replace it with a reference to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework.dll
So my awesome wife recently bought me a Flip Ultra HD camcorder thingy. It’s pretty neat. Obviously so far we have used it for some pretty important stuff… like, um, Alfie (our cat) doing his bunny feet. But with the nice weather on it’s way I’m hoping to take it out and get some videos of boating and shooting and 4-wheeling.
Anyway… when you plug the Flip into your computer it fires up some FlipShare software, which is nice and easy to use. It automatically copys your videos off onto the computer. You then see a library of videos and can simply share them up to your YouTube account.
So then I wanted a way to display these videos on my website. My first thought was to look for a YouTube API. Turns out there is one (which I’ll have to have a play with sometime!) but there is a much easier way to display your own videos using a YouTube Custom Player. You can setup your display theme and layout and then choose which videos you want to feed to the player (you can choose all videos or setup a playlist to pick and choose). Once you are done you get give the HTML for an object element. I dropped this in my web page and done!
Hopefully now I can just upload a movie direct from FlipShare and it will magically appear on my web site. Easy!
Just a quick one so that I don’t forget this if it happens again!
Today I was working on a WCF service method that returned a DataTable.
The service appeared to be setup, configured and referenced in the same way that other working ones within the project were. However every time I called the method I would get a CommunicationException:
System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: The underlying connection was closed: <br />The connection was closed unexpectedly.
Debugging proved that the method’s code was being run and everything appeared to be ok…. until the client code then received the response.
It turned out that the DataTable didn’t have a Name. I updated the code to specify a name when creating the DataTable and it then was returned and received with no issues.
Dim oDataTable As New DataTable("SomeData")
I recently created a web page that made use of ASP.NET web parts. The pages allows the user to customise the layout of their start page and also allows them to add/remove various widgets.
I created a user control and dropped that into a WebPartZone. Everything was working, but I could not get the web part title to display. To solve this I had to wrap my user control within an ASP Label control:
<cc1:WebPartZone ID="uxLayoutWebPartRecentProperties" runat="server"
<asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Title="My Recently Viewed Properties">
<uc2:RecentlyViewedProperties ID="uxItemRecentlyViewedProperties" runat="server"/>
So my user control (uc2:RecentlyViewedProperties) is wrapped within a Label. This Label has the Title set to “My Recently Viewed Properties”. When this gets displayed in the application, it looks like this:
The title is displayed when viewing the page. It is also displayed when editing the layout (and using the drag and drop functionality).